South Point United Methodist Church was organized as a Sunday School in Gaither’s Factory, a cotton warehouse formerly called Stowesville Mill. As the South Point community grew, so did interest in establishing a church. On March 2, 1878 Thomas Williams and his wife Martha A. Williams deeded three and a quarter acres for the purpose of building a church. The first building was constructed from locally cut timber with the framing of the church being hewn out by hand.
In 1878 when the building was completed all interested families joined together and formed the South Point Methodist Episcopal Church South. Approximately 29 people became charter members of the church. Earliest known records convey that the church steadily grew. In 1924 the original church building was moved a short distance from where it first stood so that five additional Sunday School rooms could be added to the front of the one-room building. A few years later in 1937 plans were made to build an educational building, which consisted of one large room with a fireplace and a kitchen to be used for recreational and church activities.
As the membership of South Point continued to grow, members soon realized a larger church was needed. On February 12, 1950 the last service was held in the little white frame church. The structure was removed and ground was immediately broken for a new brick building which is still in use today.
The first service in the new church was held on March 4, 1951. All indebtedness was paid and the church was dedicated on Sunday, May 16, 1954. Soon after the members of the church began to consider the possibility of becoming a station church employing a full-time minister.
In preparation to become a station church, property was purchased to build a parsonage from Mrs. Johnsie Leeper Gaston. Mrs. Gaston was the daughter of the first couple to be married in the original one-room church. With the parsonage completed, South Point officially became a station church in 1955. And in the fall of that same year the first full time minister was appointed.
As the community surrounding the church continued to grow, so did the church. In 1986 an addition to the current church was constructed. The new wing included a new fellowship hall and kitchen; as well as classrooms. Once again, the people of South Point stepped forward and retired all the indebtedness of the new building that very same year.
In an effort to strengthen their commitment to children and families in the community, South Point United Methodist decided to start a morning preschool program in 2004. Financial assistance was attained through a Remission Grant from the conference. In September 2004, the church opened the doors of the new Weekday School with classes to accommodate children from ages 1-4.
In hopes to provide future ministries to the church and community, SPUMC bought 9 acres of adjoining land from Mrs. Helen Neagle in May 2007.
Throughout its history, South Point United Methodist Church has continued to grow and prosper only because of the faithfulness, service and sacrifice of many great people.